#News

from the #Valley

Stay away from Hipster HR

date: 24 / 11 / 2017 | written by Jochen Bessemans | comments: 0
Stay away from Hipster HR. Don’t become one of them. Don’t use HR Tech because you think it proves you’re a ‘modern’ HR person or an attractive organization that’s up to speed with the latest fad.

‘Can you tell me which HR Tech tools we should use for our recruitment?’ It’s one of those questions I get when talking to groups of HR people about what’s happening in HR Tech. In a way this shouldn’t be much of a surprise.

What

many HR people experience when they get insight into the evolution and diversity of HR Tech, into the app-like feel of many HR Tech SaaS-solutions, into the increased user experience, is in a way comparable to people's reaction when Steve Jobs revealed the first iPhone*: they start behaving like early adopters.

They become what you can call HR Hipsters.

*keep in mind: contrary to the first iPhone what we are seeing now in HR Tech is rather mature technology, as I explain in this video

In my opinion this Hipster HR behavior is intensified by two influences:

• The many reports that automation will lead to the disappearance of numerous jobs – it’s a bold statement I do use myself, albeit not as a fact but rather to get people thinking and to help them break free from ‘business as usual’. The sheer possibility of losing your job can lead to jumping the bandwagon in the hope of securing your job by joining the game earlier than others.
  • The fact that we have become so used to using tech and apps in our daily lives, so why not use them for HR!

Don't become an HR Hipster

My advice? Stay away from Hipster HR. Don’t become one of them. Don’t use HR Tech because you think it proves you’re a ‘modern’ HR person or an attractive organization that’s up to speed with the latest fad.

It’s a dead end street. Period.

By now you might think: hey, wait a minute. You’re the evangelist of HR Tech Valley. Shouldn’t you be promoting HR Tech instead of giving us this advice against it?

Actually I am not telling you not to use HR Tech. I’m telling you not to become an HR Hipster.

Everyone in HR should consider the use of HR Tech, but I strongly advice against doing this because it makes you ‘cool’, improves your ‘employer branding’ or helps you attract talented youngsters.

Use HR Tech strategically.

Know the pitfalls in your HR. Understand the exact problem you want to solve. Define which results you’re looking for. Only when you have done this, should you start experimenting with HR Tech. Only then will you truly experience the added value of HR Tech. Only then can you become an organization in which the candidate and employee experience skyrockets through the use of HR Tech.

After all, at the end of the day, HR Tech is just a means to an end, a tool you use to achieve something. So make sure you understand what you want to achieve, monitor the effects, adapt constantly.

And should you find it difficult to suppress the urge to become an HR Hipster, then it’s time to call in the HR Tech Valley A-Team.

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

Go back to top of the page
  1. Community
    1. Co-created solutions
    2. Membership formulas
    3. Our members
    4. News from the Valley
    5. Map of Belgian HR Tech
  2. Events
    1. #roadtripZP18