#News

from the #Valley

Dear company, ready to be consumed by Career Owners?

date: 25 / 10 / 2017 | written by Jochen Bessemans | comments: 0
To eat or be eaten. An article on the impact of #HRTech and the rise of the Career Owner on #HR and organizations. #WarForTalent #FutureOfWork

Do you still go to a travel agency to book your holiday? Or do you use Tripadvisor, Booking, Cheaptickets or the likes? In our everyday life as consumers, we use an increasing number of tech to make sure we get what we want when we want it and at our own terms.

Well, people looking to improve their careers are displaying similar consumer behavior.

Last week I read about a survey in the US on  ‘The Modern Job Seeker’.  Let’s just quote some of the results that struck me on the importance of anonymous employee reviews – you know, the kind you use yourself when booking your trip/restaurant or buying that new smartphone:

• 37% say that employer reviews are the most important content when researching a potential company
  • nearly 1 in 3 workers have declined a job offer primarily because the company had negative online employer reviews
  • 92% of working Americans consider employee reviews to be important when deciding to apply to a job
  • 47% of millennials have declined a job offer because of negative reviews online

What employer review sites like Glassdoor and Kununu do, is offer you the service you are used to as a consumer. They are easy to use, provide you with a lot of info in just a few clicks, are enriched with data of your peers (so multiple sources). We rely on this kind of review sites to give us the information we need to form our own opinion and be in control of our own decisions.

This behavior, this consumerization has already changed numerous industries from travel to transportation and banking. Review sites are in my opinion only the first consumerization cracks in the HR universe. If you realize what HR Tech is arising and the user-friendliness of these solutions, then you will agree with me that it’s just a matter of time before the consumer/Career Owner demands your organization starts using them.

Let’s give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

Over the last couple of months I have seen many HR Tech solutions. It’s one of the advantages of the fact that HR Tech Valley is an independent non profit organization. I don’t want to show any preferences by naming the solutions, but seeing

• how some use gamification to engage employees in for example referral schemes;
  • how others use video to replace CV’s;
  • how clever dashboarding makes all employee data easy to interpret for everyone;
  • how they use machine learning to map someone’s preference and provide them with the information that develops and engages them;
  • how they make an assessment so easy to understand the assessed people even ask if they can show it to their parents;
  • how they stimulate your learning by informing you how long it will take for you to digest the content based on your learning behavior,

I am convinced that these deliver just what the Career Owner ordered so he can better consume and take charge of his career.

Is your company ready for it?

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

Go back to top of the page
  1. Community
    1. Co-created solutions
    2. Membership formulas
    3. Our members
    4. News from the Valley
    5. Map of Belgian HR Tech
    6. HR Tech Valley @ Zukunft Personal 2017